Friday, March 6, 2015

You Should Follow Msgr. Pope, of the Diocese of Washington DC

Msgr. Pope, of the Diocese of Washington DC has an outstanding blog. I read the article he discusses before I read his observations about it.

I came as no surprise to me that his thoughts are far better than mine.

Designer Religion: A Critique of a Recent Description of Faith in a National Publication

By: 

"We live in times of what I would call “designer religion.” Many people seem to think they have a right to assemble religious teachings they like and discard what they do not. The idea that faith is revealed by God and that we are to discover what He has revealed (in both creation and Scripture) and conform ourselves to it is at odds with our consumer culture. But faith is not a consumer product. We can’t just select the commandments we like or the doctrines we prefer, and still remain faithful to God, who reveals on His terms, not ours."

No comments:

Post a Comment