Saturday, September 26, 2015

I put together these stories and comments before Pope Francis arrived in the US. Unfortunately, I progcrastinated

I put together these stories and comments before Pope Francis arrived in the US. Unfortunately, I progcrastinated, and missed my chance to appear smart to all of my readers (me).
But, here they are anyway, because that's just the way my brain works. And now, with the prescience of hind-sight, I can comment on how the press really screwed this up. But I recommend you read the Get Religion blog, or maybe Media Research Center. They do this for a living and know what they are talking about. I talk to myself over the internet.
Obama's queer guest list. It seems now, after the fact, to have been a tempest in a teacup about nothing. I suppose the fringe groups represented by the radicals who were invited – and the red-meat conservative commentators who decried the invites – go 15 minutes of fame. Other than that, a big fizzle. Did anyone expect a knock-down drag-out between a drag queen and a sister or a pontificating pufter and a bishop? Never going to happen. And it didn't this time.


17 Sep 15
White House Invites Several Opponents of Catholic Teaching to Greet Pope Francis
“In a stunning show of political indecorum, Obama has invited a series of individuals who publicly flout Catholic teaching, including a pro-abortion religious sister, a transgender woman and the first openly gay Episcopal bishop, along with at least two Catholic gay activists.”

Gays, Transgenders, 'Nun on the Bus' Invited to White House Pope Francis Reception
By Mark Judge
"A few months ago I received an invitation from the White House to attend the reception for Pope Francis," Taylor told CNS News. "I was told I could bring several friends with me." Taylor chose five additional people to go with him. He would also "rather not say" which White House staffer made the offer. “I’m very happy to meet my brother in Christ, Pope Francis,” he said. “I’m glad we can bring some LGBT representation to the event.”
“Additionally there is Sister Simone Campbell, the Executive Director of NETWORK, which describes itself as “a national Catholic social justice lobby.” Sister Campbell is attending two events – the White House reception and Pope Francis’ address to Congress September 24. In 2010 Campbell wrote a letter in support of health care reform, otherwise known as Obamacare. In 2012 she helped organize the “Nuns on the Bus” a tour by Catholic nuns to protest the budget of then-Republican Senator Paul Ryan. When asked her opinion about making abortion illegal at the time, Campbell replied, "That's beyond my pay grade. I don't know." She is the author of the book "A Nun on the Bus: How All of Us Can Create Hope, Change, and Community."

Sister Campbell’s invitation to the events came from Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA).

GLAAD set to join LGBT Catholic leaders at White House reception for Pope Francis
By Ross Murray
“The White House has extended an invitation for GLAAD and LGBT Catholic leaders to attend the White House reception for Pope Francis. GLAAD's CEO and President Sarah Kate Ellis and Director of Programs Ross Murray will be representing the organization at the ceremony which will welcome Pope Francis before he and President Obama meet privately.
“GLAAD used the invitation to invite Nicholas Coppola, who wrote a Change.org petition asking Pope Francis to meet with LGBT Catholics during his upcoming visit to the U.S. GLAAD worked with Nicholas, a devoted Catholic, out gay man, and prolific LGBT advocate’
“Also joining Ross and Nicholas, will be Sister Jeannine Gramick, the co-founder, and Francis DeBernardo, the executive director of New Ways Ministry, a ministry of advocacy and justice for LGBT Catholics, and reconciliation within the larger Christian and civil communities. Jeannine and Francis were two of 28 leaders of Catholic, Latino, and LGBT organizations that signed and sent a letter to the Pope urging him to meet with LGBT Catholics.”

Pope Francis, I'd like you to meet a pro-choice nun, a gay bishop and a transgender woman - the very eclectic guests at White House reception next week

Obamas to Host Pope Francis at White House Sept. 23

March 26, 2015 10:46 AM
So, they’ve been planning this for a while. One of the articles noted that about 1000 people were invited to the reception. I can’t wait to see the demographics of the attendees. I’m guessing Fr. Pavone wasn’t invited. Barbara Boxer invited one of the heretical sisters, so maybe some number of invites are provided to congress people. So we’ll see.

Or Sodom, perhaps.


Avoid the Spin During Pope’s Visit
Bishop Paprocki, Al Kresta and Teresa Tomeo weigh in.
We all could have done well by taking this advice. Avoid the spin. The pope spoke several times and his own words are available readily on line. I've read what he said to Congress, and lo, he didn't stick to liberal or conservative talking points. He preached the Gospel and the unchanging Catholic faith.



These comments from a non-Catholic, politically liberal blogger give some idea, I think, of what the pope intended in his visit and shed light on his entire pastoral approach.


I am discovering that there are some things I agree with the Pope on (income inequality, immigration, climate change, and poverty issues) and many things I do not (his opposition to same-sex marriage, women priests, married priests, divorce, birth control and abortion in extenuating circumstances).  But I think the reason I’m drawn to him is because of his love for humanity, his humility, his compassion, and his acts of forgiveness.  And I love his kindness.  I like that he is trying to emulate the life of Christ, and even though we don’t agree on some things, at least we can met on the human ground of love, humility, compassion, and forgiveness.  Just think how much better the world would be if we all could start there.  Maybe he will help us. Welcome to America, Pope Francis!

This is my favorite Pope Francis visit cartoon so far:


No comments:

Post a Comment